The town is situated in a graceful countryside of sandstone and basalt formations on the borderline of two protected landscape areas of Bohemian Central Mountain Range (České Středohoří) and Lusatian Mountains (Lužické hory). It lies in Česká Lípa District and the Liberec Region at 350 – 550 m above sea level. Self-governing unit of the town consists of two parts, Kamenický Šenov and Prácheň. The population is about 4 thousand. The town is famous for its glass art production and uninterrupted almost three hundred years old production of wonderful crystal chandeliers.
The first report about the town comes from the year 1352 from the chronicle of nearby town of Česká Kamenice where the village founded by Lusatian Sorbs immigrants is called Sonov. The village was promoted to a township in 1849 and to a town in 1900.
The Shenovian glassblowers were first mentioned in the 17th century when local residents started to deal with the refining of glass that was taken on wheelbarrows and horse carts from glassworks in Chřibská that was founded already in 1414. Later also from Falknov.
The first glassworks in Kamenický Šenov was built in the end of 19th century. After a boom in production of chandeliers there was founded the first professional glass school in the world in 1856.
Městský úřad Kamenický Šenov
471 14 Kamenický Šenov
Tel.: +420 487 712 011
Fax: 487 712 000
The best-known Shenovian native was probably Jiří František Kreibich (1662-1730) the glass merchant who took about 30 business trips to many European countries.
To other important personalities associated with Kamenický Šenov belonged also Jan Dvořáček (1825-1898). He graduated from the Prague Academy and was a historical painter and the first director of the Glass School.
Josef Palme founded the first bigger workshop in Prácheň already in 1724. Elias Palme brought it to the real boom and perfection in the second half of the 19th century.
The Glass Museum
The Town Museum was originally founded in 1923 by official foundation of the Museum Society.
The permanent exhibition offers information about development of engraved and cut glass from the 17th century to present. Part of the exposure is dedicated to the local Glass School - the oldest school of its kind in Europe, the J. & L. Lobmeyr company and international symposiums of engraved glass. To the permanent exhibition also belongs a collection of historic crystal chandelier trimmings and layered lighting fixtures. The tradition of the production goes back to 1724. To one of the extraordinary exhibits belongs a glass chair made by a local glass company Elias Palme in the last decade of the 19th century for Maharaji Palace in Hyderabad, India.
There is also a shop in the museum where visitors can buy glass products, souvenirs and publications about the glass industry.
Sklářské muzeum Kamenický Šenov
471 14 Kamenický Šenov
Tel./fax: +420 487 712 040
Church of St. John the Baptist
In the city center near the main road there is a baroque church of St. John the Baptist. It was built on the site of an older wooden church in 1715 – 1718 by Petr Pavel Columbani.
The interior furnishings are mostly rococo. The church was completely restored in 1928. An old cemetery adjoins the northern side of the church. Along the wall there are richly articulated rococo and classicist stone tombstones from the second half of the 18th century and first half of the 19th century.
Varhany Cycle Path (Organ Cycle Path)
The Organ Cycle Path is almost 17 km long and runs along the former railway line from Česká Lípa to Kamenický Šenov. It starts near the Střelnice train stop in Česká Lípa and ends at the former train station in Kamenický Šenov, in the immediate vicinity of Panská skála (also known as “basalt organ”) with an adjacent parking lot and information center.
The construction of the cycle path began in 2007 and was completed in 2013.
The surface is formed by an asphalt-concrete layer that allows use not only for cyclists but it also becomes ideal place for other free time activities. In the winter it is also used by cross-country skiers.
Glass local train – Sklářská lokálka Šenovka
A picturesque museum railway runs along the museum track below the slope of Castle Hill (Zámecký vrch) in Česká Kamenice to the glass town of Kamenický Šenov. It is 4,5 km long.
This is the last remnant of the local track Česká Lípa – Česká Kamenice. In the section Česká Lípa – Kamenický Šenov it was closed down in September 1979. The necessary repairs were made and after several years, seasonal museum operations were launched by historical steam and motor trains.
The end of March till the end of October – only Public Holidays and weekends
June to September - daily
Station of the Cross
The Stations of the Cross can be found at the bottom of the town near the swimming pool at the old road between Kamenický Šenov and Česká Kamenice.
The farmer Franz Kreibich had built the original Stations of the Cross with a rock grave in 1846 along with the Holy Trinity Chapel.
In the 1950s Way of the Cross was destroyed and the Holy Trinity Chapel was demolished.
The civic association Na výsluní associating citizens and friends of Kamenický Šenov took the renewal of the Way of the Cross. Along with the restoration of the road included the construction of a circular pavilion, wooden entrance gate and demanding modifications of the Holy Cross spring that is rising just below the Stations of the Cross.
High School of Applied Arts for Glassmaking
High School of Applied Arts for Glassmaking (the first one in central Europe) was founded in 1856 as a result of the training needs of glass artisans mainly in glass painting, engraving and grinding.
Due to unsatisfactory space a small house was bought and in 1875 and later there was bought another building, today's second building of the glass school in Havlíčkova ulice.
Over 150 years of its existence the school has raised many outstanding artists and craftsmen. The school also has its own gallery where it is possible not only to see top graduate work but also buy quality and cheap student’s products in the school shop.
Střední uměleckoprůmyslová škola sklářská Kamenický Šenov
471 14 Kamenický Šenov
Tel.: +420 487 764 965
A basalt hill (597 m) on the edge of Kamenický Šenov is the most famous geological reservation in the Czech Republic. There used to be a quarry that was in operation already in the 18th century. By gradual mining there was revealed one of the most beautiful examples of basalt column separation in our country. Pentagonal and hexagonal regular basalt columns are almost vertical, up to 12 m long and have 20 - 40 cm in diameter.
The whole formation reminds of organ pipes and therefore it is often called the Organ. Below the rock there is a small lake that originated in the pit after the rock was mined. It is filled with rainwater. First rescue efforts began in the end of the 19th century and culminated in a ban on basalt mining in 1948. In 1953 Panská skála was declared a National Natural Monument.
The most famous Czech fairy tale "Pyšná princezna - Proud Princess" was filmed on Panská skála in 1952.
Near Panská skála there is a parking lot and information center where you can buy souvenirs.
Informační centrum Panská skála
471 14 Kamenický Šenov
Tel.: +420 725 767 401